Current:Home > ContactNovaQuant-Supreme Court rebuffs Biden administration plea to restore multibillion-dollar student debt plan -ProfitSphere Academy
NovaQuant-Supreme Court rebuffs Biden administration plea to restore multibillion-dollar student debt plan
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 05:09:00
WASHINGTON (AP) — The NovaQuantSupreme Court on Wednesday kept on hold the latest multibillion-dollar plan from the Biden administration that would have lowered payments for millions of borrowers, while lawsuits make their way through lower courts.
The justices rejected an administration request to put most of it back into effect. It was blocked by 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
In an unsigned order, the court said it expects the appeals court to issue a fuller decision on the plan “with appropriate dispatch.”
The Education Department is seeking to provide a faster path to loan cancellation, and reduce monthly income-based repayments from 10% to 5% of a borrower’s discretionary income. The plan also wouldn’t require borrowers to make payments if they earn less than 225% of the federal poverty line — $32,800 a year for a single person.
Last year, the Supreme Court’s conservative majority rejected an earlier plan that would have wiped away more than $400 billion in student loan debt.
Cost estimates of the new SAVE plan vary. The Republican-led states challenging the plan peg the cost at $475 billion over 10 years. The administration cites a Congressional Budget Office estimate of $276 billion.
Two separate legal challenges to the SAVE plan have been making their way through federal courts. In June, judges in Kansas and Missouri issued separate rulings that blocked much of the administration’s plan. Debt that already had been forgiven under the plan was unaffected.
The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued a ruling that allowed the department to proceed with a provision allowing for lower monthly payments. Republican-led states had asked the high court to undo that ruling.
But after the 8th Circuit blocked the entire plan, the states had no need for the Supreme Court to intervene, the justices noted in a separate order issued Wednesday.
The Justice Department had suggested the Supreme Court could take up the legal fight over the new plan now, as it did with the earlier debt forgiveness plan. But the justices declined to do so.
veryGood! (99277)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Julianne Hough Reflects on Death of Her Dogs With Ex Ryan Seacrest
- 3 people killed in fire that destroyed home in small town northeast of Seattle
- Gwen Stefani cancels Atlantic City concert due to unspecified 'injury'
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Family calls for transparency after heatstroke death of Baltimore trash collector
- Prince William Debuts New Beard Alongside Kate Middleton in Olympics Video
- Horoscopes Today, August 11, 2024
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- John Mulaney Confirms Marriage to Olivia Munn
Ranking
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Massachusetts fugitive wanted for 1989 rapes arrested after 90-minute chase through LA
- Kevin Durant invests in Paris Saint-Germain, adding to his ownership portfolio
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom nudges school districts to restrict student cellphone use
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- A jury says a Louisiana regulator is not liable for retirees’ $400 million in Stanford Ponzi losses
- Rachael Lillis, 'Pokemon' voice actor for Misty and Jessie, dies at 46
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. can remain on the North Carolina presidential ballot, judge says
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Horoscopes Today, August 11, 2024
All qualifying North Carolina hospitals are joining debt-reduction effort, governor says
Diaper Bag Essentials Checklist: Here Are the Must-Have Products I Can't Live Without
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
An ex-Kansas police chief who led a raid on a newspaper is charged with obstruction of justice
Black bear mauls 3-year-old girl in tent at Montana campground
Nick Jonas Is Shook After Daughter Malti Marie Learns This Phrase